Angela of Fluid Pudding and Flawed but Authentic posted this list the other day. On the list, she labels ten ways that she can forgive herself. It is making the rounds as a "sort of meme." Here's my version:
- I forgive myself for sometimes losing my shit with my kids - actually, this was on her list and it's so dramatic that I've keeping it. Especially after this week. ;)
- I forgive myself for not always keeping a clean house - again, hers, but I'm digging it myself.
- I forgive myself for not finishing college. One day, but that day is not anytime soon.
- I forgive myself for being an awesome cook and serving grilled cheese to my kids instead of a gourmet meal designed to expose them to global cuisine. Twice this week. With fruit and carrots, but still....
- I forgive myself for not being very social. Sometimes I feel like I don't belong anywhere - not with the moms of preschoolers - most of them don't have older kids. Not with the moms of older kids - most of them don't have smaller kids. Not at the gym or in capoeira - I'm the only female. Sometimes it's a struggle to feel like I belong, and I recognize that it's ok to feel that way.
- I forgive myself for having no idea how to apply the Bare Escentuals makeup my friend sent me, and even following the directions I don't think it's amazing.
- I forgive myself for not yet scheduling my first mammogram. Even though my midwife gave me orders two years ago. (I know, I know!)
- I forgive myself for zoning out on the conversation with my five year old, where she probably planned world domination and how I would buy her a pony.
- I forgive myself for not being able to do the Soulja Boy dance, and for not even trying. And for not having the desire to participate in something so hip.
- I forgive myself for never ever being on top of the laundry, for always having a large pile on the sofa.
- I forgive myself for letting the phone go to voice mail, even if I'm sitting right next to it. (Except for when you call. I ALWAYS answer the phone then.)
- I forgive myself for not caring that my son goes to school in wrinkly clothing.
There. I feel better. Who knew I had so much to forgive myself for?
Care to play along?
I didn't forget the questions that I promised to answer. Tomorrow - pinky promise.