As I grow older, I have noticed changes. With age comes wisdom, and all that jazz. Mostly, I've noticed that I'm starting to see little lines on my face, a droop in areas that used to stand up firm and high on their own self, and exhaustion.
Oh, yeah, exhaustion. I've said it before, read it in many places, and it's true - you bitterly regret all the naps you fought as a child when you are a grown up.
But today, the third day of school for my younger kids, is the first day of the back to school saga that my google calendar is blank. As in, empty. There's nothing scheduled. So I've planned to power through my work -
And cook for a few hours, and nap. With God as my witness, I will lay down and just be still for at least an hour.
I was thinking, though, about the things I've learned about me as I get older - and let me start off by saying that I'm ok with getting older. I'm not afraid of it, not fighting it - as I look back in life, I do wish I'd made some different choices, but I'm happy with me and where I am.
If you've read here for a while, you know that this is a hard won battle.
- I need much more sleep than my husband or family thinks that I need.
- I cannot skip breakfast. And that breakfast, for me, cannot consist solely of sugar and/or carbs.
- I'm a lip balm addict and I get slightly - ok, more than slightly - panicked when I don't have some nearby.
- I love to be busy.
- But I also crave some quiet time.
- My life is not complete without music.
- And dance. There always must be dance of some kind. Lately, it's zumba - but I'd love to find a pure barre class around - I grew up doing ballet and it's always my first love. My body isn't the right shape at all for it, but I still want to dance.
- I'm addicted to technology and the Internets.
- I'm strong.
- Everyone needs a pair of "good butt" jeans - ones that make you look and feel amazing. I'm still on the hunt for mine.
- I need to check my front porch for spiders before I walk up the steps - we have these ENORMOUS spiders who spin fantastically huge webs that cover the entire porch - and I look like a fool when I walk through one and do the "Spider Web freak out dance" - and don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about. It's hysterical - as long as it's not you doing it.
- I'm doing the very best that I can do. Some days, that just won't be enough. As long as I can say, every night before bed, that I gave it my all - I will have to be happy with that.
- People will not always agree with me. I won't agree with them.
- Three drinks is my limit.
- Never eat shrimp from a buffet server who is walking around at a party.
- I don't do enough late night driving with the windows rolled down and the stereo blasting.
- I am a good person. Despite what a small crowd of dissenters tries to promote - I am a good person.
Tell me - on this fine Friday that's dreary and sprinkly and overcast - what have you learned about yourself?
Other cool stuff:
Enter to win a $10,000 grocery shopping card
or a $50 Visa gift card
Or a super cool and amazing Harley Davidson Women's Jacket
Update on Allegra's Invisalign braces
Create a personal pouch for your daughter for back to school confidence